From L.A. to Rome...gluten free all the way!


Thursday, May 10

Love Affair {with Roma}

My heart is captured.  The Eternal City is a thief in the night with all her perfectly lit monuments, balmy evening strolls {passeggiata} with lovely Roman people, the constant hum of motorini, stoic ruins, men that sing out to me in the narrow porfido walkways & the always inviting open doorways - she has stamped an indelible imprint on my heart & soul {sul mio cuore e l'anima}.


"See Roma and die". Is the old saying...




To wander the streets of Roma is a fantastical adventure ~


At each turn a masterpiece to behold.


I love to discover new shops.


dream apartment with a balcony overflowing with flora & fauna.


Another whimsical day, grazia Dio...


In my wanderings, I found a place I didn't want to pass-up: La Taverna dei Fori Imperiali {vicino Madonna dei Monti}  whose chef owner, Alessio Liberatore graciously caters to celiacs.



I start with an old obsession: Caesar salad.  Alessio adds radicchio & finocchio to his version, senza croutons to keep it clean & g-free.


Second, I order Carciofi Romana:


Third plate is a g-free version of a traditional Roman dish Cacio Peppe {pecorino & fresh black pepper}.  This one's unique because Alessio makes it with saffron, cod fish, black pepper & Parmesano, typically not done, it's sacrilegious to mix cheese and fish, however I'll go along with Alessio's irreverence! 


Buona!

Dolci?  Perche, non?
A Torta Caprese w/zabaglione.


I highly recommend La Taverna for celiacs.   All the dishes shown are gluten-free & prepared with the utmost care, Alessio's aware of the dangers of cross contamination and prepares everything separately.  Claudia {Alessio's daughter} totally took care of me & made me feel right at home.  
Alessio promises to always change the menu to keep it fresh & exciting for us. 

I give La Taverna **** {four stars}
Cuoco d'oro, Alessio!


Claudia, myself & Alessio

Buona notte...


Baci e abbracci da Roma!

No comments:

Post a Comment